Thursday, April 2, 2009

Charles Schwab's Secret to be Paid a Million Dollars!

One of the first people in American business to be paid a salary of over a million dollars a year (when there was no income tax and a person earning fifty dollars a week was considered well off) was Charles Schwab. He had been picked by Andrew Carnegie to become the first president of the newly formed United States Steel Company in 1921, when Schwab was only thrity eight years old. (Schwab later left U.S. Steel to take over the then-troubled Betlehem Steel Company, and he rebuilt it into one of the most profitable companies in America.)

Why did Andrew Carnegie pay a million dollars a year, or more than three thousand dollars a day, to Charles Schwab? Why? Because Schwab was a genius? No. Because he knew more about the manufacture of steel than other people? Nonsense. Charles Schwab told me (Dale Carnegie) himself that he had many men working for him who know more about the manufacture of steel than he did.

Schwab says that he was paid this salary largely because of his ability to deal with people. I asked him how he did it. Here is his secret set down in his own words - words that ought to be cast in eternal bronze and hung in every home and school, every shop and office in the land - words that children ought to memorize instead of wasting their time memorizing the conjugation of Latin verbs or the amount of the annual rainfall in Brazil - words that will all but transform your life and mide if we will only live them:

I consider my ability to arouse enthusiasm among my people," said Schwab, "the greatest asset I possess, and the way to develop the best that is in a person is by appreciation and encouragement. There is nothing else that so kills the ambitions of a person as criticisms from superiors. I never critize anyone. I believe in giving a person incentive to work. So I am anxious to praise but loath to find fault. If I like anything, I am hearty in my approbation and lavish in my praise."

Source: How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! So true, this book is on my top 5 list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent article.
    May I respectfully request that Schwab's mentor's name be changed from Dale Carnegie to "Andrew Carnegie" (US Steel magnate & the inspiration behind Napoleon Hill's, "TGR" & other works.
    Be well & keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete